Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Want to make ice cream

Why is it only now that I've discovered that you can make your own coconut ice cream!??! Here is a recipe link I'm going to have to try later. I'll be back to post the outcome

Edit 2/17: After I posted I realized that the above mentioned recipe called for an ice cream machine (we sold ours at a garage sale a while back). So I found a way to make it sans machine in Mothering Magazine. Here is what I did:

3 cans Coconut Milk (full fat)
2/3 c cocoa
1 c agave

mix with electric blender. Put in freezer and pull out and mix every 30-60 minutes.

I started this morning at 9am and have been mixing it about every 45 minute (except for the 1 hr we were away for value world). Right now (1:15pm) it tastes awesome but it's not quite ice cream. I'll be back to update.'

Evening update: Oh, my. This is a wicked discovery. This was really stinkin' good. It was ready by about 3pm and we ate it between 5 & 8. Definitely a keeper. Though, next time I'm going to try it with the 'lite' coconut milk.

Days later update: Still good days later. Really tastes like chocolate ice cream. There is also a way to do this with a vanilla bean & maybe next time I'll try honey instead of agave.

1 comment: